John Dilke HANDLEY

HANDLEY, John Dilke

Service Number: 1532
Enlisted: 19 July 1915, Brisbane, Queensland
Last Rank: Sergeant
Last Unit: 2nd Light Horse Regiment
Born: Bulimba, Queensland, 28 August 1894
Home Town: Brisbane, Brisbane, Queensland
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Carpenter/Farmer
Died: Natural causes (heart attack), Brisbane, Queensland, 6 September 1962, aged 68 years
Cemetery: Toowong (Brisbane General) Cemetery
Memorials: Beaudesert War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 1532, Brisbane, Queensland
30 Nov 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1532, 2nd Light Horse Regiment, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
30 Nov 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 1532, 2nd Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Suffolk, Sydney
9 Nov 1918: Promoted AIF WW1, Sergeant, 2nd Light Horse Regiment
1 Jul 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Sergeant, SN 1532, 2nd Light Horse Regiment

Help us honour John Dilke Handley's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Pauline Graves

Enlisted 19 Jul 1915 in Brisbane. Trained at Enoggera as part of the 2nd Light Horse.

Moved to Sydney to embark aboard HMAT A23 "Suffolk" to Alexandria. Joined the unit 19 Feb 1916 at Tel el Kebir.

Defending the Suez Canal and then fighting at Katia in Aug. Promoted to driver on 2 Aug 1916.

29 Dec 1916 sent to No 1 Depot Camel Transport Co at Ein El Shems. Stayed with them until the 9 Apr when he was sent to the Divisional Ammunition Column for two months then rejoined the 1st Light Horse Brigade Transport on 4 Jun 1917. He did not rejoin the 2LH until 22 Sep 1917.

Fought at the 3rd Battle of Gaza and Es Salt and then pushed on to be aprt of the of capture Jericho and Jeruselum.

4 Oct sick with fever and sent to 31st General Hospital at Abbassia.  4 Nov promoted to Lance Corporal and two days later to temporary Sergeant when at Khan Yunis.This rank was not confirmed until 9 Feb 1919.

Boarded the HT "Ulimaora" for home leaving Kantara Egypt on 13 Mar 1919. Sick on board with malaria. This dogged him for many many years afterwards.