Image Source - Boronia Travel
Walker’s Ridge is the last cemetery on the unmade road leading down from the Nek Cemetery towards the edge of the plateau.
There are excellent views to the north from the cemetery towards Suvla Bay. These heights were reached from North Beach by Australians in the first hour or so after the landing at 4.30 a.m. on 25 April 1915. The ridge was named for the commander of the New Zeland infantry , Brigadier-General Harold Walker. His headquarters was established nearby.
Walker’s Ridge Cemetery was created for the Gallipoli campaign and is the final resting place of thirty Australians of whom only twelve have been positively identified. The remaining eighteen, known to be buried here, are commemorated by Special Memorials.
Among the burials are eight members of the 2nd Battalion. Seven of them died between 27 April and 2 May 1915, the period of the ‘Battle of the Landing’. Seven men of the 20th Battalion died at Walker’s Ridge between 2 September and 25 November. There are also men of the 9th and 10th Battalions AIF buried here, units which fought in this area at the landing, and men of the 8th and 10th Australian Light Horse Regiment who were killed during the famous charge at The Nek on 7 August 1915.