Keilli Cemetery, South Australia Back to Search
|Location||Mundoora, Barunga West - South Australia, Australia|
Ingram Gap Road Mundoora SA 5553
The town of Keilli, about 10 kilometres from Redhill, was survey in August 1873 (by J H Packard) and proclaimed on 23 September 1875 as Redhill. Within two months, its name was changed to Keilli - an Aboriginal word for 'extended plain'.
It had a school between 1872 and 1909 and a post office, at first known as Broughton Extension. This name was changed as well in February 1876. It operated from October 1873 until 1920.
Keilli cemetery is all that is left of the township of Keilli which was surveyed and boasted a few settlers, a school and a shop. Most people had moved into Mundoora by 1912 and the remaining Keilli buildings were pulled down.
The town was declared 'to cease to exist' in 1966.
Thanks to Dion Cox who created the attached index of burials at the Keilli Cemetery.
Sourced and submitted by Julianne T Ryan. 20/1/2015. Lest we forget.