Becordel-Becourt is a commune in the Department of the Somme, on the East side of Albert. It contains the village of Becordel-Becourt and the hamlet of Becourt, which are separated by Becourt Wood.
The Military Cemetery is on the West side of Becourt Wood, on the south side of the road to Albert.
The Becourt Military Cemetery begun in August 1915, by the 51st (Highland) Division, and carried on by the 18th and other Divisions in the line, until the Battles of the Somme in 1916. The cemetery continued in use, chiefly by Field Ambulances, until April 1917; and Plot II was made by the 18th Division at the end of August 1918.
There are 713 casualties of WWI (1914-1918) commemorated in this cemetery.
Of these, 72 from Australia; 606 from the UK; 31 (nearly all Artillery men) from Canada,
and 3 from South Africa; 8 unidentified; and a special memorial is erected to a soldier
from the United Kingdom buried among them;
3 German graves have been removed.
The cemetery covers an area of 4,327 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.
Sourced and submitted by Julianne T Ryan. 16/3/2015. Lest we forget.