Nieuwstraat Road, Kemmel, 8956 Heuvelland, Belgium.
Kemmel village can be found about 6 miles south-west of Ypres, and is reached by following
the N336 out through the Lille Gate, and then turning right onto the N331 about half a mile
further on (just before the level crossing).
Located just to the north of the village centre is Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery.
The entrance is flanked by twin brick-built arches, and the village cemetery is located
immediately to its left.
The land and rows of graves curve slightly uphill away from the road, and then downhill.
Many of the headstones are quite irregularly spaced.
The cemetery was established in December 1914, taking its name from Kemmel Chateau
which stood to the rear of the cemetery location.
The Chateau at certain stages in the war housed an Advanced Dressing Station, and the
cemetery continued to be used until March 1918, when Kemmel was taken by the Germans.
Although it was retaken later in 1918, both the Cemetery and the Chateau suffered from
shelling with the Chateau being destroyed.
In total there are 1,135 WWI soldiers buried here, all but 3 being identified.
In addition, located in a row on the left by the entrance are 21 WWII burials.
Sourced and submitted by Julianne T Ryan. 20/3/2015. Lest we forget.