Located: 30 Adam Street (corner South Road & Adam Street), Hindmarsh, SA.
(directly opposite the old Brickwork Market site.) Situated alongside the River Torrens.
The Hindmarsh Cemetery was established in 1846 on land that was originally set aside for a market place.
The first burial occurred in April of that year. The monument for this grave still stands in the cemetery which is now a State Heritage listed site.
The small brick shed on site was once known as the “dead house” due to the high number of bodies that were stored there during the 1918/19 influenza pandemic, which caused more than 50 million fatalities worldwide.
In 1930 the Torrens flooded, washing away part of the cemetery and sweeping six bodies down the river. Flooding was always a serious problem in the area until mitigation programs were undertaken.
The cemetery is managed by the City of Charles Sturt (Council), phone 08 8408 1111.
Thank you to KYM for the A-Z burial records lists.
Sourced and submitted by Julianne T Ryan. 6/4/2015. Lest we forget.