185 Annerley Road, Dutton Park QLD 4102 (Ph: 07 3403 8888).
The South Brisbane Cemetery is a heritage-listed cemetery, adjacent to the Brisbane River.
It is often (incorrectly) called "Dutton Park Cemetery".
In 1851, the residents of South Brisbane discovered (apparently to their surprise) that the Government of New South Wales (this being prior to the establishment of an independent colony in Queensland) had set aside around 5 acres of land for a general cemetery for South Brisbane.
(In 2011, that land is the site of the West End State School). However, no trustees were ever appointed and no burials occurred.
In 1865, the QLD Government decided to sell that site and use the proceeds towards another burial ground.
In 1866 a grant of 18 acres of land was made for the South Brisbane Cemetery by the QLD Government.
The first person buried in the cemetery was Jane Hockings in July 1870.
In 1881 a Caretakers Cottage was erected.
In 1888 entrance gates, a boundary wall and railings were designed by architect A.B. Wilson and constructed by W. Reid at a cost of £662. In 1891 the wall was extended by R. Wilcock.
The cemetery was enlarged in 1904 by the addition of 7 acres on the south side of Cornwall Street.
In 1930 that section of Cornwall Street (now within the cemetery) was closed as a public road.
In 1928 the Brisbane City Council took over the management of the cemetery.
By the early 1960s, the cemetery was effectively full and the cemetery was closed. However, as with most closed cemeteries, additional burials and interment of ashes in existing family graves continued to occur. Some additional plots were released in the cemetery in the 1990s.
Sourced and submitted by Julianne T Ryan. 11/5/2015. Lest we forget.
Regarding further general information about South Brisbane Cemetery -refer to- Research Links.