Crouy is a village about 16 kilometres north-west of Amiens on the west side of the River Somme, on the Amiens-Abbeville main road. The British Cemetery is a little south of the village on the west side of the road to Cavillon and there is a Commonwealth War Graves Commission signpost on the main road.
This cemetery was used between April and August 1918 for burials from the 5th and 47th Casualty Clearing Stations, which had gone to the village because of the German advance. Most of the casualties have therefore died of their wounds rather than having been killed outright.
In October 1919, 42 graves were brought to Crouy from the small military cemetery at Riviere, a few kilometres away to the north-west. These burials had been made from the 12th, 53rd and 55th Casualty Clearing Stations at Longpre-les-Corps Saints between May and August 1918. (They now occupy rows E and F of plot IV and part of row D, plot VI.)
The cemetery contains 739 Commonwealth burials from WWI, and a number of French and German war graves.
276 Australians; 281 UK; 179 Canadians; 2 India; 6 French; 1 Unidentified and 39 Germans.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Submitted by Julianne T Ryan. 04/04/2017. Lest we forget.