Daours Communal Cemetery Extension Back to Search

Normal daours communal cemetery extension

Cemetery Details

Location Rue de Pont Noyelle (D115), Daours, Somme - Hauts-de-France, France
Co‑ordinates N49.90549, E2.44577
Description

Location Information
Daours is a village in the Department of the Somme, about 10 kilometres east of Amiens and is north-west of Villers-Bretonneux. Go through the village of Corbie on the D1 in the direction of Fouilloy-Amiens (A1 Paris) and then enter and travel through the village of Fouilloy on the D1 in the direction of Daours-Amiens (A16). Enter Daours and at the traffic lights turn right in the direction of Pont-Noyelle on the D115 - where the first CWGC signpost will be seen. Carry on for 0.4 kilometres and Daours Communal Cemetery is on the left hand side of the road. The Extension is on the south side of the Communal Cemetery.

History Information
The preparations for the Somme offensive of July 1916 brought a group of casualty clearing stations (the 1st/1st South Midland, 21st, 34th, 45th and Lucknow, section "B") to Daours. The extension to the communal cemetery was opened and the first burials made in Plots I, II, Row A of Plot III and the Indian plot, between June and November 1916.

The Allied advance in the spring of 1917 took the hospitals with it, and no further burials were made in the cemetery until April 1918, when the Germans recovered the ground they had lost. From April to the middle of August 1918, the extension was almost a front line cemetery. In August and September 1918, the casualty clearing stations came forward again (the 5th, 37th, 41st, 53rd, 55th and 61st) but in September, the cemetery was closed.

There are now 1,231 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in Daours Communal Cemetery Extension. The total includes special memorials to four men of the Chinese labour corps whose graves in White Chateau Cemetery, Cachy, could not be located. The adjoining communal cemetery contains two First World War burials made before the extension was opened.

The extension was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

Read more...

Names

Showing 8 people of interest from cemetery

Thumb capture
WATSON, Albert Victor

Service number 2700
Corporal
2nd Light Trench Mortar Battery
AIF WW1
Born 1892

Thumb 179.7.edwin errey
ERREY, Edwin Benjamin

Service number 6452
Private
24th Infantry Battalion
AIF WW1
Born 1889

Thumb keenan
KEENAN, John Patrick

Service number 2691
Lance Corporal
53rd Infantry Battalion
AIF WW1
Born 6 Mar 1891

Thumb 1
STOCKHAM, Sydney Clezy

Service number 698
Lieutenant
27th Infantry Battalion
AIF WW1
Born 6 May 1889

Thumb laidley  william shepherd
LAIDLEY, William Shepherd

Captain
1st Division Artillery
AIF WW1
Born 3 Nov 1886

Thumb gray  obalin herbert 2252
GRAY, Obalin Herbert

Service number 2552
Private
3rd Field Ambulance
AIF WW1
Born Oct 1890

Thumb capture
KING, Edwin Joseph

Service number 1612
Lance Corporal
34th Infantry Battalion
AIF WW1

Thumb richardson  sidney 6662
RICHARDSON, Sidney

Service number 6662
Private
27th Infantry Battalion
AIF WW1

Thumb daours communal cemetery extension
Showing 1 of 1 image.
Click images to start slideshow.