Jeancourt is a village on the western boundary of the Department of the Aisne, 16 kilometres north-west of St Quentin.
It has two communal cemeteries, the Catholic and the Protestant, both on the west side of the village.
The Extension is on the east side of the Protestant Cemetery.
This cemetery contains a total of 660 soldiers' graves.
It is one of the most important cemetery of the Vermandois area.
TOTAL BURIALS 660:- 114 Australians; 372 UK; 6 Canadians; 168 Germans
492 soldiers (of which 207 unknown soldiers) are from Commonwhealth, including:-
114 Australians (16 unknown); 371 British (191 unknown) and 6 Canadians.
The Commonwealth burials, made by the 59th (North Midland) Division and other fighting troops, began in April 1917, continued until February 1918, and were resumed in September 1918. Further burials were added after the Armistice when graves, almost all of March and September 1918, were brought in from the surrounding battlefields and from the following smaller cemetery:-
POEUILLY BRITISH CEMETERY
was 200 metres South of the village of Poeuilly and contained the graves of 27 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Australia, who fell in September and October, 1918.
Among the 492 soldiers are 168 Germans (in the north-western part). The presence of German soldiers is explained by the use of this ground alternatively by the German troops and the troops of the British Empire, but also by the existence of a German hospital in the village. The soldiers in this cemetery were buried in 1917 and 1918.
The extension was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.
Submitted by Julianne T Ryan. 06/03/2017. Lest we forget.