North Road Cemetery is located in the leafy suburb of Nailsworth, approximately 5 km north of Adelaide city. It is a resting place of Pioneers and many servicemen and women of WWI and WWII, which have strong links with South Australia's history.
It is 7.3 hectares (18 acres) in size and has almost 26,000 burials since its foundation in 1853. The original size of the cemetery was 0.8 hectare (2 acres) and was established by South Australia’s first Anglican bishop - Dr Augustus Short (on land which he owned). The cemetery is still maintained by the Anglican Diocese of Adelaide. It is one of Adelaide's oldest and most historically significant cemeteries and is included in the state heritage.
Upon entering the cemetery (from Main North Road) an avenue of stately trees lead to the Chapel of the Resurrection, which was consecrated on 28 April 1905. This beautiful Chapel features Napier Waller's magnificent mosiac above the altar. Directly behind the Chapel of the Resurrection is the Augustus Short Memorial Garden.
The first grant of right of burial was to William Carter on 15 April 1853.
Other South Australians of historical note buried at North Road Cemetery include Daisy Bates; Sir Ross and Sir Keith Macpherson Smith; Captain Harry Butler; MHR and Speaker of the House the Honourable George Charles Hawker; Sir Charles Todd; Julia Warren Farr; Dr Helen Mary Mayo OBE; and Charles Rasp.
The Cemetery opened to all christian denominations in 1989 and changed its name from North Road Anglican Cemetery to North Road Cemetery.