St Michael Churchyard, Clifton Hampden, Oxfordshire, England Back to Search

Cemetery Details

Co‑ordinates N51.655868, W1.210384

Clifton Hampden is a village and civil parish on the north bank of the River Thames, just over 3 miles east of Abingdon in Oxfordshire. Since 1932 the civil parish has included the village of Burcot, 1 mile east of Clifton Hampden.
The Church of England parish church of St. Michael and All Angels was a chapel of Dorchester parish until the 19th century. The oldest parts of the church include the arcade of the south aisle, which was built in about 1180. Elsewhere in the church are three lancet windows from the 13th century in the Early English style. The south aisle ends in a chapel which was added in the 14th century in the Decorated style. The arcade of the north aisle is later, in the Perpendicular style. In 1844 Sir George Gilbert Scott rebuilt the church, ornamenting the chancel as a memorial to the benefactor who funded the restoration.



Showing 1 person of interest from cemetery

Thumb 1aa
SHANNON, David John

Service number 407729
Squadron Leader
Born 27 May 1922