The memorial is on Coopers Hill Lane, Englefield Green, near Egham, Surrey, United Kingdom.
The Air Forces Memorial, or Runnymede Memorial, is a memorial dedicated to some 20,456 men and women from air forces of the British Empire who were lost in air and other operations during World War II.
Those recorded have no known grave anywhere in the world, and many were lost without trace.
The name of each of these airmen and airwomen is engraved into the stone walls of the memorial, according to country and squadron.
15462 Royal Air Force
3050 Royal Canadian Air Force
1397 Royal Australian Air Force
576 Royal New Zealand Air Force
17 South African Air Force
10 Women’s Auxillary Air Force
9 Ferry Command
8 Air Transport Auxillary
7 Royal Indian Air Force
7 British Overseas Airways Corporation
4 Air Training Corps
The memorial was designed by Sir Edward Maufe with sculpture by Vernon Hill. The engraved glass and painted ceilings were designed by John Hutton, and the poem engraved on the gallery window was written by Paul H Scott.
It was the first post-World War II building to be listed for architectural merit.
The building was completed in 1953.
The roof of the memorial looks over the River Thames and Runnymede Meadow, where the Magna Carta was sealed by King John in 1215.
Most of north, west, and central London can be seen to the right from the viewpoint; such monuments as the London Eye and the arch of Wembley Stadium are visible on clear days. Windsor Castle and the surrounding area can be seen to the left.