This Dedication Stone is a Symbol of the firm commitment undertaken by the following organisations to an H.M.A.S. Sydney II National Memorial to be unveiled on this site on the 19th November 2001
The Rotary Club of Geraldton
The Geraldton City Council
The Geraldton R & SL Sub-Branch
The Batavia Coast Maritime Heritage Association
19th November 1998
Plaque 2 :
THIS MEMORIAL TO THE 645 LOST SOULS OF H.M.A.S. SYDNEY II WAS DEDICATED ON THE 18th NOVEMBER 2001 BY HIS EXCELLENCY LIEUTENANT GENERAL JOHN SANDERSON, AC GOVERNOR OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Plaque 3 :
THIS MEMORIAL HAS BEEN A PROJECT OF THE ROTARY CLUB OF GERALDTON
Designed By SMITH SCULPTORS
Built By FONDEX CONSTRUCTIONS
THE MEMORIAL TO HMAS SYDNEY
This Memorial comprises many symbolic elements expressing the tragic loss of HMAS Sydney II. The precinct is based on a circular plan, symbolising totality, wholeness, infinity, eternity. It is approached by a path, curving upwards, forming a ceremonial entrance ramp to the dedicated area.
The Wall of Remembrance
Encompassing the south-west side is a semi-circular wall, faced with W.A. Black Granite, engraved with the names of the 645 men lost. This represents the ' encircling arms of the Nation' welcoming home it's lost loved ones. The exterior face of the wall is sculpted with a low relief motif emblematic of the eternal sea. At the Entrance Portal, historic photographic images of HMAS Sydney II, bring to life the reality of the tragedy.
On 19th November 1941, HMAS Sydney was returning from the Sunda Straits after escorting the Hired Transport Zealandia to a handover with HMS Durban. That evening HMAS Sydney encountered the German Raidwer HSK Kormoran and became involved in an engagement that would eventually lead to the loss of both ships.
No trace was found of the HMAS Sydney or her valiant men. This Memorial is dedicated to their memory and to the great sacrifice they and their families made to ensure the security of Australia
Dated 19th November 2001.