Gawler Institute Hatcher Memorial Eagle Back to Search

Normal gawlerm3b

Details

Location Murray Street, Gawler, South Australia, Australia
Type other
Description

In foyer of the Public Library in the Gawler Institute. A cast iron gold coloured eagle with wings partly outstretched standing on a tree branch with green leaves and red flowers and berries. The figure is mounted on a wooden plinth. At the top of the plinth is a brass plaque. The eagle is purported to have been located on top the Thompson Foundry and was clandestinely removed by 86 Squadron personnel when the Squadron was posted to Merauke in southern New Guinea in 1943. 86 Squadron was formed at Gawler (commonly called Buchfelde) and was the only operational Squadron formed in South Australia. The eagle then had the honour of being above the stage in the Squadron's recreation tent and was finally returned after cessations and given to the people of Gawler as a memorial to one of the 86 Squadron pilots who disappeared whilst flying into a storm front from Horn Island to Merauke in 1943.

Read more...
Built Thompson Foundry, Gawler
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

Plaque:

Presented by Members of 86 Squadron RAAFto the Citizens of Gawler in Memory of the latePilot Officer Ivor C. Hatcher,who lost his life in air operations in theSouth West Pacific,September 8th, 1943.

Condition

MAINTAINED BY: Gawler Council

PECULIARITIES/DAMAGE: Nil

View Tributes of Honour Description

Names

Showing 1 person of interest from memorial

Thumb img 0004
HATCHER, Ivor Clarence

Service number 417183
Flying Officer
No. 86 Squadron (RAAF)
Royal Australian Air Force
Born 3 May 1923

Thumb gawlerm3aThumb gawlerm3bThumb gawlerm3c
Showing 3 of 3 images.
Click images to start slideshow.