White Marble with Digger
Unveiling the Murgon War Memorial on ANZAC day 1920. Returned servicemen and a marching band formed a procession along Lamb St for the unveiling
War Memorial and Civic Centre in Lamb Street, Murgon, 1938
Murgon War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen of World War One. An additional plaque was added to the memorial to commemorate the fallen of World War Two. Murgon residents took pride in the fact their war memorial was unveiled free of debt, and that their list of volunteers was abnormally high.
The foundation stone in memory of the glorious dead was laid by Lieut Col M Wilder Neligan, CMG, DSO, DSM on the 25th April 1920. The original digger memorial was unveiled by Major General Spencer Browne, Chairman of the Returned Soldiers and Sailors Imperial League on the 11th November 1921. The memorial the work Lowther & Son was erected at a cost of £500. On the unveiling of the memorial, the Murgon band played " Lead, Kindly Light " after which the names of the fallen were read out to the assembly.
The Queenslander (Brisbane), 26th November 1921.