A circular brass memorial plaque with Maltese Cross cut out inside the perimeter. At the centre of the cross is a small image of an artillery piece. Veterans' names and dedications are inscribed and coloured black with some red.
The unveiling of the tablet affixed to one of the side walls opened the service, the removal of the Union Jack being performed by Major-General Richardson. The fall of the flag disclosed a round brass shield about 24in. diameter, with the inscription engraved and filled in with black and red. A garter round the outside bears the words " New South Wales Field Battery Soudan, l885. " In the centre is a maltese cross bearing on its upper and two side points the names of the deceased — Captain Willows, veterinary surgeon: Driver J. Robertson, Gunners T. Coburne, E Lewis; and on the bottom one the following inscription -"Erected by the officers, non-commissioned officers, gunners, drivers, and trumpeters of the Field Battery of New South Wales Artillery Soudan, 1885." The service was then commenced with the hymn, "Onward Christian soldiers. " At the end of the prayers the choir song the anthem " In Jewry is God known."
Excerpt from Sydney Morning Herald, 27 February 1888.