This is the cross memorial that replaced Petro Porcelli’s ‘Digger’ in 1965
“One of the first WWI Memorials built, the statue of a ‘Digger’ built by Pietro Porcellie was unveiled in 1917 in Memorial Gardens, Albany Road. The statue was removed in 1957 due to deterioration and vandalism and replaced with a simple cross in 1965” (Town of Victoria Park, 2016 ‘Town of Victoria Park Local History Collection Timeline, 3rd edn, Victoria Park, p. 26).
The original War Memorial was unveiled on 4 Aug 1917 on the corner of Albany Highway and Harvey Street, Victoria Park. Vandalised several times between 1920 and 1957, in 1957 it was replaced with a simple stone cross.
The tablets containing the names of those who had served were removed and given to the Victoria Park RSL. This sub branch went into remission for a time, and the tablets were transferred to the Canning Districts RSL. At the time they were photographed, the panels were set on the lawn of the Canning and Districts RSL.