A monument commemorating the former Guildford Grammar School students who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.The memorial was unveiled on April 23 1922 by the Prime Minister (Mr. W. M. Hughes). The memorial was designed by Mr. W. Tapper, of London, the architect of the school chapel (WMQG0D).Plaques on either side list the names of the students, whilst the one on the front reads -
"To the glory of God and in grateful memory of the boys who gave their lives for their King & country in the Great War 1914 - 1918. Remember them for good and bring them unto glory through the sufferings and death of the captain of their salvation"
FROM THE ARCHIVES
WW1 MEMORIAL RESTORATION IN 1985
Since 1922, the War Memorial has played a significant part in the School’s history. Students and staff have stood near the memorial on ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day while a wreath was laid to remember the 46 Old Boys and two staff who made the ultimate sacrifice during the war. The Old Guildfordians have also paid tribute with the laying of a wreath prior to their Annual Dinner.
The 1922 Swan described the Memorial as “In the shape of a large gilt bronze cross surmounting a slender pillar. It was designed by Walter Tapper, architect of the Chapel, and hence is in the keeping with the Chapel. Standing on a base is stone work in the shape of a Roman altar with the school badge on the front, the names of the fallen on either side and at the back an inscription. From the altar rises an octagonal shaft, at the top of which is a stone carved with the eight emblems. This stone supports a Gothic lantern with recesses in its eight sides for the eight figures. Above this lantern again, is a ball from which rises the bronze gilt figure of the Saviour on the cross, above a golden crown."
By 1985 the War Memorial was showing signs of wear. Sixty three years of accumulated grime and mould had seen severe corrosion to the figures and stone work. The School Council had retained the services of Mr Rob McK Campbell who as an architect had played a prominent role in the restoration of several of Western Australia’s historical land marks.
The first step was to clean away the grime and dirt before it caused any further damage. Sometime in the past the figurines at the top had been painted with a sealant in the belief it would keep out the dirt. Unfortunately the application had compounded the problem and prevented the stone from breathing.
The architect had obtained the services of Mr Guy Weguelin, a builder with expertise in stonework. His method was to spray sections of the column with fine jets of water for two hours each day over several days and to brush the stonework with several types of soft brushes while still moist. The final stage consisted of dry brushing once again.
It is understood that the Memorial was shipped out from England and erected on the site as much of the stone was foreign to Western Australia. Another worrying factor was the rust on the central pin which held the cross in place. It was feared the pin extending through the length of the column was rusted but was later found to be sound. The wrought iron cross was removed for restoration and the stone orb fell apart and was later replaced with Donnybrook stone by stonemason Mr Ernie Golightly. The Memorial was left swaying in the breeze.
Mr George Balk of Midland Monumental Works worked on the re-pointing and patching.
The next problem concerned the eight figurines, some of which some were quite severely damaged. They depicted the four United Kingdom Saints, St George of England, St Patrick of Ireland, St Andrew of Scotland and St David of Wales and four soldier saints. These were all replaced, some of which are displayed in the museum.
The restoration was completed in time for the 1986 ANZAC Service.
The photos show the restoration work and the Memorial as it is today.