Armadale Presbyterian Church Memorial Window Back to Search

Normal 139

Details

Location Kooyong Road [formerly Denbigh Road], Armadale, Stonnington - Victoria, Australia
Type stained_glass_window
Description

The memorial stone for the Armadale Presbyterian Church, designed by architects Sydney Smith & Ogg, was laid on 27 September 1902 by the Moderator of the Assembly, the Rt. Rev. Alexander Hay, MA, DD. The church opened for worship on 8 March 1903, and historiated windows were installed over the next 60 years or more, as donors and funds permitted.

English-trained stained glass artist, Derek Pearse (1928-2007), was commissioned to fill the last light in the five-light transept window with a memorial to the men from the congregation who died in the Second World War. He was often assisted with leadlighting and installation by Treven Barry, however it is not known whether this was so in this case.

The church closed in 1999 and has since been converted into townhouses, however the windows have been relocated to the former Methodist (now Uniting) Church in Kooyong Road, where they have been fitted to existing window openings with the addition of extra glass borders but with few other alterations.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

Go and Do Likewise

'To the Glory of God [and as a] tribute to all from this congregation [who served their] country in the Second World War AD 1939-1945 These Gave Their Lives Keith Cattanach Victor Corless James W. Leitch Leonard W. Malcolm Alan L. Malcolm Trevor E. Roberts John H. Steel Kedron F. Turner Douglas Wrathall 'Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends'. John 15:13

Condition

Good

Names

Showing 1 person of interest from memorial

Thumb leitch
LEITCH, James Westwood

Service number 409060
Flying Officer
Born 21 Mar 1914

Thumb 139Thumb 140Thumb 141
Showing 3 of 3 images.
Click images to start slideshow.