Bendigo St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Memorial Window Back to Search

Normal 471

Details

Location 26 Meyers Street, Bendigo, Greater Bendigo - Victoria, Australia
Type stained_glass_window
Description

By October 1930, when this window was ordered by the Rev. David Hodges, few soldier memorials were being commissioned as Australia headed towards the years of the Great Depression. It was to be one of a number of memorials installed in time for the dedication of the new church building by the Right Reverend Dr. Borland, Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria, on Sunday 30 November 1930. The image of Christ was taken from an old Brooks, Robinson & Co. cartoon but a new cartoon was drawn up for the kneeling warrior knight, an image that was popularly chosen to represent the qualities of the Australian soldier. In the tracery piece above the two lights was placed the badge of the Australian Imperial Forces. Each light measured 55 x 17 1/4 inches with hopper vents inserted into the base panels. Although it is a standard part of every Anzac Day ceremony, verse four of Laurence Binyon's poem, For the Fallen, is rarely seen inscribed on a stained glass window in its entirely. This may be not only because it is a secular not Biblical quote, but also because its length demands a large expanse of window space, as is the case here.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them. Gifted by the families in grateful memory of the men of this congregation who fell in the Great War 1914-1919.

Condition

Good

Thumb 471
Showing 1 of 1 image.
Click images to start slideshow.