Malvern St. George's Anglican Church Memorial Window Back to Search

Normal 509

Details

Location 296 Glenferrie Road, Malvern, Stonnington - Victoria, Australia
Type stained_glass_window
Description

The decision to erect a new chapel in memory of the soldiers from St. George's Parish, was taken by the vestry in 1920 on the recommendation of the Memorial Committee and under the guidance of the incumbent, the Reverend Josiah Tyssen. Fund raising began almost immediately and plans by Klingender & Alsop were approved by the Archbishop later the same year. The State Governor laid the foundation-stone in September 1921 and Archbishop Lees consecrated St. Martin's Memorial Chapel in October 1923. It was fitting that the first window should be of the church patronal saint, St. George, British warrior and martyr. The window was designed and made by Melbourne stained glass artist, William Montgomery. A note in Montgomery's 1926 diary suggested the inscription -'Dulce et decorum est pro patriamori-' was proposed as text for the memorial window, however this was replaced with simple -'Fight the Good Fight-' instead.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

Fight the Good Fight

Condition

Good

Thumb 509
Showing 1 of 1 image.
Click images to start slideshow.