Orbost St. James' Anglican Church Memorial Window Back to Search

Normal 520

Details

Location Cnr Ruskin & Browning Streets, Orbost, East Gippsland - Victoria, Australia
Type stained_glass_window
Description

St. James' Anglican Church, Orbost, was conceived and built as a memorial to the men 'who served and suffered during the Great War' as noted on the foundation stone. The Right Reverend GH Cranswick, DD, Bishop of Gippsland, laid the stone on 1 October 1927. Three windows were ordered from Brooks, Robinson & Co. by the Rector, the Reverend JB Montgomerie, in March 1928, which were installed in time for the opening of the building. The central circular image of the Agony in the Garden of Gesthemane was flanked by the Light of the World and the Ascension. The image of the Ascension showed Christ in a radiant vesica, with an ornamental canopy designed using the vine, with leaves and bunches of grapes, to symbolise the Eucharist. Other windows in the church were designed in the same style and made by Brooks, Robinson & Co., many incorporating touches of Australian flora.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

To the Glory of God. Given by the Pardew Family in memory of the men of this Parish whose lives were sacrificed in the Great War 1914-1918.

Condition

Good

Thumb 520
Showing 1 of 1 image.
Click images to start slideshow.