Camberwell St. John's Anglican Church Memorial Window

Details

Location 552 Burke Road, Camberwell, Boroondara - Victoria, Australia
Type stained_glass_window
Description

The first church of St. John was razed by fire in March 1955 with the loss of many memorial windows, some dedicated to soldiers of the First World War. The new church, designed by Louis R Williams, which opened in 1957, brought forth a new collection of memorial windows, one of the first of which was dedicated to Charles Belton who died while a prisoner of war in Thailand. The window was one of a series designed by David Taylor Kellock (1913-1988) for the new building.

Charles Frederick Belton was the son of Arthur Charles and Lucy Belton, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire. He joined the 5 Field Regiment Royal Artillery as a gunner and was captured by the Japanese in the fall of Singapore. Apart from the dreadful conditions under which the men lived and worked, cholera claimed many lives during May and June 1943. Gunner Belton died on 30 June 1943, one of 5,084 Commonwealth casualties and 1,896 Dutch who were buried or commemorated in Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Thailand.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

Plaque: In loving memory of Charles Frederick Belton Prisoner of War, died in Thailand, 30th June, 1943.

Condition

Good

Showing 1 of 1 image.
Click images to start slideshow.