Kerang St. John's Anglican Church Memorial Window Back to Search

Normal 547

Details

Location 60 Wyndham Street, Kerang, Gannawarra - Victoria, Australia
Type stained_glass_window
Description

Kerang's first Anglican church was opened around 20 April 1879 and consecrated on Sunday 1 July 1888 by the Archbishop of Melbourne. Several windows from the old church were incorporated into the substantial brick A-frame that currently serves the Anglican congregation, including a three-light memorial in honour of those from the Parish who served during the 1939-1945 War. Few details have emerged regarding the window, and despite all other windows in the church being by Brooks, Robinson & Co., the design has similarities with Mathieson & Gibson's post-War windows, most notably in the treatment of the three service badges - the AIF emblem in the centre, flanked by the Navy and Air Force badges in the outer lights. The outer lights are mainly diamond quarries inset with symbols of the Resurrection and Peace: Alpha and Omega, cross and crown in the left hand light and crossed palms, cross and crown in the right hand. If the date of 1944 is correct (see AWM Survey Index), then the maker may have been in breach of war time restrictions on stained glass, which was considered a non-essential industry.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

To the Glory of God and in memory of all who served in World War II 1939-1945

Condition

Good

Thumb 547
Showing 1 of 1 image.
Click images to start slideshow.