Dunolly St. John's Anglican Church Memorial Window Back to Search

Normal 551

Details

Location Corner Thompson and Barkly Streets, Dunolly, Central Goldfields - Victoria, Australia
Type stained_glass_window
Description

St. John's Church at Dunolly was erected 1866-69. It is thought that the discoverers of the 'Welcome Stranger' gold nugget gave £30 to the building fund at St. John's, a fine sum in the 1860s. The west window, the Ascension of Christ dates from a later period. The tracery about the main three lights had the badges of the AIF and RAAF inserted into upper quatrefoils. The RAAF badge was a new innovation in 1918, and the version used here was not gazetted until 1923, giving a possible earliest date for the window. The scene of the Ascension was set into diamond quarries, with a quatrefoil of the Dove of the Holy Spirit above it. Each of the side lights were also diamond quarries with three quatrefoils equally spaced down the light: IHS and Alpha and Omega in the left and right upper sections with the attributes of the Evangelists below them, two in each light.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

Condition

Good

Thumb 551
Showing 1 of 1 image.
Click images to start slideshow.