Mildura St. Margaret's Anglican Church Memorial Window Back to Search

Normal 585


Location Corner Deakin Avenue and Eleventh Street, Mildura, Mildura Shire - Victoria, Australia
Type stained_glass_window

St. Margaret's Anglican Church, Mildura was built in several programs and memorial windows also installed in at least two separate cycles. When the stone church was enlarged to plans by Melbourne Anglican Diocesan architect Louis R Williams in the 1930s, Canon Horner arranged in 1933 for Brooks, Robinson & Co. to prepare designs for the east window of the sanctuary. Several more windows were installed during 1959 by Archdeacon Hardingham, the last being the Crucifixion in 1960.

The Warrior's Chapel was added around the early 1960s and the remains of Archdeacon James Hardingham were interred under its floor in 1962. Melbourne stained glass artist John Ferguson (1923-2010) prepared a series of windows that symbolised service and sacrifice, in keeping with the object of the sacred space.

Joseph Cyril Batchelor enlisted at the age of 20 on 13 October 1914. He served in 14 Battalion AIF, embarking in Melbourne aboard HMAT Clan McGillivray on 2 February 1915. He returned to Australia just one year later with damage to his back and was appointed to the Instructional staff on 27 June 1916.Joseph's son, Robert James Batchelor, was a student when he enlisted as Ordinary Seaman on 13 March 1945 but was discharged on compassionate grounds (father's illness) on 30 August 1946.

Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered

[Plaque] A.M.D.G. In memory of Joseph Batchelor obit. January 25 1964




Showing 1 person of interest from memorial

Thumb batchelor1
BATCHELOR, Cyril Joseph

Service number 1436
14th Infantry Battalion
Born 1894

Thumb 585
Showing 1 of 1 image.
Click images to start slideshow.