Caulfield Grammar School Memorial Hall Memorial Window Back to Search

Normal 190


Location 217 Glen Eira Road, St Kilda East, Port Phillip - Victoria, Australia
Type stained_glass_window

A new Memorial Hall was being discussed in 1941, Caulfield Grammar School's Jubilee year, however war halted any progress and it was not until 1946 than an appeal for £15 000 was launched. The intention was to commemorate the lives of 150 Old Boys who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars. By 1950 two-thirds of this vast sum had been raised and plans for a combined Chapel and Hall were drawn up by 1954. Headmaster, the Reverend Stanley Kurrle was concerned at the compromises entailed in a combined function and architect Reg Appleford prepared plans for a Memorial Hall with a huge glass wall over the entrance. Kurrle met with artist Alan Sumner to discuss the theme of the window and to relate stories of Caulfield Grammar's servicemen that might prove useful catalysts for his design. Sumner based his window design on Service, (although the present generation refer to the Sacrifice window), however he also wanted it read from spiritual, worldly and historical points of view. 'St. Michael, Patron Saint of the fighting man' was the central spiritual figure, presenting his sword to Army, Navy and Air Force servicemen. Vignettes representing wars from South Africa to Korea were strategically placed within the space, along with the badges of the armed services and the school, culminating in the symbol of Victory, the Cross and Crown. Contractors, Hansen & Yuncken successfully tendered for the building, which, by the mid-1950s, was estimated to cost £48 962. The Memorial Hall was opened by Victoria's Governor, Sir Dallas Brooks and dedicated by the Anglican Archbishop Frank Woods of Melbourne on 27 April 1958. When fire damaged part of the building on Melbourne Cup Day 2000, the window was saved, removed and conserved by Andrew and Peter Ferguson, then appropriately incorporated into the new building that opened as part of the Cripps Centre in 2005.

Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered



Thumb 190
Showing 1 of 1 image.
Click images to start slideshow.