Hugo Throssell VC Memorial Back to Search

Normal 56189947 2371491609752963 2696741868451921920 n

Details

Location cnr Old York Road and Great Northern Highway, Greenmount, Mundaring - Western Australia, Australia
Type buildings
Description

The Hugo Throssell Memorial is an octagonal gazebo at the edge of the Highway in Greenmount. It's enclosing, half height, grey granite walls, together with it's mottled orange 'Marseilles pattern terra-cotta tiled roof provides a shady retreat on the hot busy highway. The colour of the tiled roof does not sit all that comfortably with the blue/grey granite of the walls. One could question as to whether the tiled roof was a later replacement for corrugated iron introduced on the occasions when the memorial has been rebuilt or relocated.

The memorial to Hugo (Jim) Throssell VC, on the north-east corner of Great Eastern Highway and Old York Road, has had an interesting history. Captain Throssell, son of former State Premier George Throssell of Northam, received his Victora Cross for single-handed capture of a Turkish trench on 15th August 1915, during the ill-fated ANZAC Cove campaign. In 1917, while recovering in England from woundsd, he met Fijian born nurse and writer Katharine Susannah Pritchard. They married in Melbourne in 1919, and returned to the West soon afterwards, purchasing the property at Greenmount, part of which is known as Katharine's Place. In 1933, after some unwise land speculation , and failure of the "Lazy H Ranch", in Greenmount, Jim Throssell committed suicide while his wife was overseas.
The idea for the memorial to the man erroneously thought to be Western Australia's first VC winner came from his widow. The original concept for the memorial, as described in the "West Australian" of June 1937, was for a drinking fountain for pedestrians and a watering trough for Throssell's beloved horse. In 1939, Katharine transferred to the Mundaring Road Board land she owned at the corner of the new and old York Roads. Possibly due to the intervention of WWII, the memorial was not built and unveiled until February 1954. It then took the form of a rotunda or bus shelter with a rock edged garden. It has been suggested the the stones came from Coppin Road quarried and that the builder Egisto Simonelli numbered the stones to assist construction. Since then, it has been subjected to damage from runaway vehicles, and in the early 1980's it was moved to accommodate the widening of Great Eastern Highway.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

TO THE MEMORY OF
CAPTAIN HUGO THROSSELL V.C.
1914 - 1919

Condition

Good

Names

Showing 1 person of interest from memorial

Thumb hugo t 04
THROSSELL, Hugo Vivian Hope

Service number OFFICER
Captain
10th Light Horse Regiment
AIF WW1
Born 27 Oct 1884

Thumb 56189947 2371491609752963 2696741868451921920 nThumb 55924129 2371491916419599 7938143283010600960 nThumb 56296943 2371491776419613 5618461326528479232 nThumb 55860868 2371492623086195 2505844230140723200 n
Thumb 55882209 2371492179752906 33495316070137856 nThumb 55961948 2371492463086211 397129860352311296 nThumb 56781157 2371492699752854 222809644752437248 nThumb 56184338 2371491699752954 2635118833035116544 n
Showing 4 of 8 images.
Click images to start slideshow.