War Nurses Memorial Park

Details

Location 8 Takalvan Street, Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
Type memorial_planting
Description

Rotunda with plaques and story boards and mural

The West Bundaberg Progress Association initiated the construction of the memorial when they approached Bundaberg City Council to hand over the land for beautification purposes. Construction costs of over 1000 pounds were raised by the Bundaberg General Hospital and the Red Cross in just 7 weeks, with many local companies and individuals also contributing. Designed by architect Eric Hawksley Boden it was officially opened on 15 October 1949 by Bundaberg Mayor, Alderman F.H. Buss. A large crowd attended and 50 nurses in white uniform stood as a guard of honour. The memorial honours the 12 local women who served as nursing sisters in the First World War and 4 who served in the Second World War, two of whom paid the ultimate sacrifice - Sister Pearl Mittelheuser in a Japanese Prisoner of War camp, and Sister Joyce Wyllie in the sinking of the Centaur. At the time it was the only tribute to war nurses in Australia and it is believed that it is still the only known memorial that honours the service of women in the First World War. The Bundaberg War Nurses Memorial and Park is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened 15 October 1949 by Ald. F H BUSS
Inscription

WAR NURSES
MEMORIAL
PARK

REMEMBERING OUR
WAR NURSES

Various plaques and story boards

WORLD WAR 1
(Names)
WORLD WAR 2
(Names)

+ PAID SUPREME SACRIFICE

Condition

Good

Names

Showing 2 people of interest from memorial

MITTELHEUSER, Pearl Beatrice

Service number QFX19068
Lieutenant
10th Australian General Hospital
AIF WW1
Born 28 Apr 1904

SKYRING, Gertrude May

Service number NURSE
Sister
Australian Army Nursing Service (WW1)
AIF WW1
Born 3 Jan 1890

Showing 4 of 12 images.
Click images to start slideshow.