A monument to the memory of the 627 soldiers who enlisted from the municipallty of Hamilton was unveiled in Gregson Park on Saturday afternoon, in the presence of a big crowd. Of imposlng design and size, the monument is surrounded by a kerb of Sydney freestone, concrete paths, and garden plots.
The base of the structure is of rock-faced trachyte, and the body of the monument is built up of freestone, setting out the marble panels, which bear the inscriptions of names of all who enlisted and those who were killed in the war.
An enriched entablature forms the cap of the monument, surmounted by three steps, on the top of which is erected a figure of an Australian soldier, bearing a standard. The statue was sculptured in Italy, and is considered to be one of the finest examples of the art imported to Australia. The monument was designed by Mr. W. L. Porter, architect, of Newcastle, and the work was carried out by Messrs. Maisey and Tonks.
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW), 22 May 1922.