Darlinghurst St Peters Church Memorial Gates

Details

Location Sydney Church of England Girls Grammar School Great Hall, 215 Forbes Street, Darlinghurst, City of Sydney - New South Wales, Australia
Type memorial_gates
Description

Sandstone gates with honour roll listing men from the parish, or men whose families were associated with the parish, who were killed during the First World War. The memorial is located on the Bourke Street entrance to the former St Peter’s Anglican Church, Darlinghurst.

St Peter's Church was built in 1867. It was deconsecrated in 1992 due to declining parish numbers and the parish amalgamated with St John's, Darlinghurst. In 1993, Sydney Church of England Girls Grammar School Darlinghurst purchased the church and converted it into the school's Great Hall.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened 24 February 1925 by Sir Dudley de Chair KCB MVO Governor of NSW
Inscription

Left hand pillar:

To the Glory of God and in affectionate memory of the brave men from this parish who fell in the Great War – 1914-1918.

Unveiled by Admiral Sir Dudley de Chair KCB MVO Governor of NSW February 24th 1925.

Rev W T Price BA Rector.

Right hand pillar:

Our glorious dead

[Names]

Unveiled by Lady de Chair. February 24th 1925.

Condition

Good

Names

Showing 4 people of interest from memorial

BARNETT, Alfred James

Service number 2285
Private
36th Infantry Battalion
AIF WW1
Born 20 Dec 1880

JOHNSON, George

Service number 735
Private
20th Infantry Battalion
AIF WW1
Born 1888

BRYANT, Charles Clive

Service number 7550
Gunner
5th Field Artillery Brigade
AIF WW1

LINKLATER, Robert William

Service number 605
Private
20th Infantry Battalion
AIF WW1

Showing 3 of 3 images.
Click images to start slideshow.