Broken Head St Oswald's Anglican Church and Plaque Back to Search

Normal broken head st oswald s anglicna church

Details

Location 521 Broken Head Road, Broken Head, Byron Shire - New South Wales, Australia
Type plaque
Description

The memorial Church of England at Broken Head was dedicated and blessed by Rev. Dr. Ashton, Bishop of Grafton in April 1922.  It was in every sense of the word a memorial church, the first donation having been bequeathed by the will of the late Corporal A.B. Goard (AIF) the land on which the church was erected was the gift of Mrs. W.S. Goard of Manly, and late of Gunning and Byron Bay.
The following were also gifted to the church
Altar - Mr. and Mrs. W.S. Goard
Lectern - Sisters and Brothers of late Corporal A B Goard
Baptismal Font - Mr. and Mrs. Flick (in memory of their son Frank, who made the supreme sacrifice.

St Oswald’s is a lovely old wooden church built a hundred years ago in Broken Head.
It was built as a memorial to honour the lives and service of three young local soldiers who died in World War I:
* Arthur Goard;
* Frederick Walter Flick; and,
* Frank Kimpton.
The final service ever to be held in the church 05 June 2021
The church was overflowing, the spread afterwards was delicious and the shared stories were heartwarming.
Time passes and the world changes - quicker every day it seems.
So it was a real privilege to stop and take the time reflect on a building and a community that has served our region with such distinction for a century.
The Building is to be sold.

Read more...
Built Not yet discovered
Opened Not yet discovered
Inscription

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
And in Memory of
OUR SON
ARTHUR BEAUMONT GOARD
Killed in Belgium Oct 4th 1917
PRESENTED BY HIS FATHER & MOTHER

Condition

Good

Names

Showing 1 person of interest from memorial

Thumb capture
FLICK, Frederick Walter

Service number 2312
Private
42nd Infantry Battalion
AIF WW1
Born 1898

Thumb broken head st oswald s anglicna churchThumb 2Thumb capture
Showing 3 of 3 images.
Click images to start slideshow.