The bronze statue by the Australian sculptor C. Web Gilbert, to commemorate the fallen soldiers of the Burnside district, has arrived, and the work of erecting the granite pedestal to carry it has been begun. The statue is to stand on site of the war gun in the Soldiers' Memorial Gardens, Rose Park, near the intersection of Alexandra Avenue and Prescott Terrace. Panels on four sides of the granite base will contain the names of 87 fallen soldiers. The. Governor (Sir Tom Bridges) has consented to perform the unveiling ceremony on Sunday afternoon, December 14.
The Register (Adelaide), 15th November 1924.
The bronze figure of a WW1 soldier leaning forward with his left arm extended in the pose of a man about to lift a friend to 'hop the bags' or 'go over the top'. The right arm is extended behind holding out his rifle for balance.
This statue appears to be modelled on a figure in the AWM WW1 diorama of the capture of Mont St Quentin. The designer of the diorama and this memorial are one in the same, Mr Charles Web Gilbert, so the likeness is not a coincidence.
This effigy is surmounted on a two-tier granite black pedestal, which in turn, is set on a two-tier granite base. The monument is set in brick pavers. Bronze plaques are affixed to each face.
The Memorial is part of a nearby precinct including the avenues of trees in Alexandra Avenue and Prescott Terrace, at the base of which are brass discs commemorating the 89 men named on this memorial.
A similar memorial exists in Broken Hill, NSW entitled "The Bomber" also by C Web Gilbert. See the link to this ubiquitous sculptor's works which include the now lost original 2nd Division Memorial at Mont St Quentin, France.
The memorial is oriented to the east.