The monument is in the form of a cenotaph shrine covering an area of 22ft by 19ft and rising to a height of 35ft above the footway. At the two front corners of the base, the steps of which are of blue freestone, are blocks of axed, polished, and chased red granite supporting ornamental standard electric lamps. Between these there is a rostrum with granite base and also a moulded and polished trachyte cap forming a desk and a fountain basin wrought out of solid granite. On two sides, pedestals of trachyte support four columns of white marble. These pillars are canopied in finely chiselled and moulded white marble one supporting the bust of a soldier and the other of a sailor. The shrine in the centre contains the names of 157 men who were killed. The honorary designer and architect was Mr. W. Martin who also personally supervised the erection.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 26 April 1922.