Kyogle Memorial Hospital Back to Search

Normal memorial hospital 2

Details

Location 199 Summerland Way, Kyogle, New South Wales, Australia
Type buildings
Description

Memorial Hospital

The Kyogle Memorial Hospital was built between 1924 and 1925, in honour of those from the district who served in the First World War. It was first dedicated on 31 March 1925. The hospital was redeveloped in 2003 and replaced by a modern health facility, which was opened on 28 November 2005. The complex was renamed Kyogle Memorial Health and rededicated to the memory of all men and women who have served in the Australian Defence Forces. It was rededicated again on 25 April 2007.

The new hospital retains two important historical features. Firstly, the foundation stone is inset into the brick wall to the left of the main entrance doors. It was originally laid on 5 November 1924 by Mrs Southam, a mother of a deceased soldier. Secondly, the brick gateway that was erected in 1937 still faces Summerland Way, and acts as a pedestrian entry to the grounds. It was established in honour of the late George Brooks, the first president of the hospital, by his brothers in the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows. The gateway previously included a brick wall and metal gates but the gates themselves have been removed, leaving only the brick arch. While the gateway is not a war memorial, it bears the original name of the hospital.

Read more...
Built Holland & Thorne (contractors)
Opened 5 November 1924
Inscription

This stone was laid by Mrs Southam, 5, 11, 1924.

One of, and on behalf the mothers of deceased soldiers as a tribute to the memory of the men of the Kyogle District who made the supreme sacrifice during the Great War.

1914 - 1918.

Inscription in Proximity
Kyogle Memorial Hospital

Condition

Good

Thumb memorial hospital 1Thumb memorial hospital 2Thumb memorial hospital 3Thumb 6
Thumb 7Thumb 8Thumb 9Thumb memorial hospital 2
Showing 4 of 8 images.
Click images to start slideshow.