Situated a short distance from the River Torrens about 23 miles from Adelaide, it occupies an unsurpassable situation on a gentle slope guarded on its southern boundary by two silent sentinels, Kenton and Salem Hills, between which a very pretty road, accompanied by the music of an ever-running stream leads out to Kenton Valley and the Onkaparinga district.
A History of Gumeracha and District 1839-1939, J E Monfries (ed.), Adelaide:Lynton Publications Pty Ltd, 1939.
Settled on the site of a perpetual waterhole "Umeracha", used by the Peramangk people, Gumeracha still attracts the same kind of effusive praise from its residents half a century later. In 1855, William Randell allocated land for a township, which prospered from agricultural activity including Randell's flour mill. Gumeracha's military history began with the establishment of the Gumeracha Mounted Rifles in 1890 by the Defence Department, which commissioned Dr. Angove of Teatree Gully to raise the required men. As with many country towns, multiple generations of Gumeracha families served Australia, from the Boer War.