Claude Edward CASTREE


CASTREE, Claude Edward

Service Numbers: 2232, 2232A
Enlisted: 13 August 1915, Brisbane, Queensland
Last Rank: Corporal
Last Unit: 49th Infantry Battalion
Born: Blackall, Queensland, 1892
Home Town: Nanango, South Burnett, Queensland
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Police constable
Died: Died of wounds, France, 15 August 1918
Cemetery: Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery
Memorials: Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour, Nanango War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

13 Aug 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 2232, Brisbane, Queensland
18 Sep 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 2232, 25th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Armadale, Brisbane
18 Sep 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2232, 25th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
15 Aug 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 2232A, 49th Infantry Battalion, "The Last Hundred Days"

Help us honour Claude Edward Castree's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by John Edwards

"Constable Claude Castree joined the Queensland Police in February of 1913. He served at Roma Street, Townsville and Kynuna before he enlisted in the A.I.F. Private Castree embarked aboard the HMAT Armadale A26 from Brisbane on the 18 of September 1915 with the 25th Infantry Battalion. The 25th Battalion arrived in France in March 1916. Castree was one of the early casualties being wounded in the left arm. He was evacuated to England and returned to action again on the 1 of November after being transferred to the 19th Battalion, in December of that year he was promoted to Lance Corporal. During the attack on Messines Ridge, Castree was wounded a second time, this time a bullet to the left shoulder. He was again evacuated to England. He returned to the 49th on the 10 of July 1918 when they was moving south to block the advance of the Germans to the Somme. Lance Corporal Castree was wounded a third and final time, a gunshot wound to the abdomen on the 14 of August 1918 as the battalion was being withdrawn from Cerisy Gailly. He was evacuated to the 13th Australian Field Ambulance, but died from his wounds the following day. He was 26 years old." - SOURCE (