The Premier's ANZAC Spirit School Prize was first established in 2007. The prize aims to encourage young South Australians to recognise, connect with and maintain the ANZAC spirit.
Participants in the competition research and write the biography of a serviceperson who served Australia in World War One or Two and explain how they conducted their research.
The competition provides the opportunity for young South Australians to identify, examine, and articulate the nature of commitment and, in many cases, the sacrifices of Australian service men and women in the service of their country during times of conflict.
Students judged the winners of the competition are taken on an escorted tour of a place associated with Australians at war. Past tours have included:
· The Western Front (France, Belgium)
· Korea and Singapore
· Vietnam (See some of those student reflections here)
The Virtual War Memorial Australia is a valuable resource for students entering the competition. In 2023, all 20 of the winning entries included the VWMA in the bibliographies and 94% of all the entries submitted for judging listed the VWMA in their bibliographies.
We provide assistance for the prize in the following ways:
- Selection of appropriate South Australians to research.
- In-class support to read service records and unit diaries (or via zoom, phone or email for country schools). Support is also available for students completing the prize as a lunchtime or after school activity.
- Research guides for WW1 and WW2 servicepeople and guides to reading Service Records and Unit Diaries which can be found in Resources for Teachers and Resources for Students, along with other useful guides and resources.
- School holiday workshops at the Torrens Parade Grounds and Zoom sessions for country students.
Please register your students with the VWMA so their work can be loaded to the profile of the serviceperson they research and become an important part of the public record. To arrange for assistance and to register your students email us at [email protected]
Entries are due by 5pm Friday 6th September, 2024