Alan Malcolm (Monty) ANDREWS


ANDREWS, Alan Malcolm

Service Number: 325
Enlisted: 17 August 1914, Sydney, New South Wales
Last Rank: Company Quartermaster Sergeant
Last Unit: 53rd Infantry Battalion
Born: Wingham, New South Wales, Australia, 13 December 1894
Home Town: Haberfield, City of Sydney, New South Wales
Schooling: Sydney Grammar School, New South Wales, Australia
Occupation: Clerk
Died: Died of accidental injuries (fractured skull), Accidental (Injuries), Salisbury, England, United Kingdom, 17 March 1917, aged 22 years
Cemetery: Baverstock (St. Edith) Churchyard
Baverstock (St Edith) Churchyard, Baverstock, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Sydney Grammar School WW1 Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

17 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 325, Sydney, New South Wales
18 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 325, 1st Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
18 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 325, 1st Infantry Battalion, HMAT Afric, Sydney
25 Apr 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 325, 1st Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
10 May 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Company Quartermaster Sergeant, SN 325, 53rd Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Alan Malcolm Andrews's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


"ANDREWS.- Died on active service, March 12, C.Q.M.S., Alan Malcolm Dickson (Montie) dearly loved elder son of J. Andrews, & M. E. Andrews, Ercildoune, Deakin Avenue, Haberfield and brother of Private Keith, Lorna, Gladys, and Marjorie, aged 22 years.

Soldier, rest, thy warfare o'er, Sleep the sleep that knows not breaking, Dream of battle fields no more, Days of danger, nights of waking.

ANDREWS.- Died on active service, March 12 C.Q.M.S. Alan Malcolm Dickson (Montie), dearly loved nephew of M. E. and L. G. and cousin of Lyle and Esme Andrews, Ellerslie, Deakin avenue, Haberfield, aged 22 years.

A noble life ended, He died that we might live.

ANDREWS.- Died on active service March 12, C.Q.M.S. Alan Malcolm Dickson (Montie), dearly loved nephew of C. H. Brown, Ercildoune, Deakin avenue, Haberfield, aged 22 years.

Till the resurrection morn." - from the Sydney Morning Herald 28 Mar 1917 (


Biography contributed by Elizabeth Allen

Alan Malcolm Dickson ANDREWS was born on 13th December, 1894 in Wingham, New South Wales

His parents were Joseph ANDREWS & Matilda Ellen BROWN who married in NSW in 1887

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

The summary below was completed by Cathy Sedgwick – Facebook “WW1 Australian War Graves in England/UK/Scotland/Ireland

Died on this date – 17th March.... Alan Malcolm Dickson Andrews was born at Wingham, Manning River, New South Wales, Australia in 1895. He enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force on 17th August, 1914 as a 19 year old Clerk from Haberfield, Sydney, NSW. Alan had previously served in Senior Cadets for 4 years and with the 31st Infantry for 3 years.

Corporal Alan Malcolm Andrews embarked from Sydney on HMAT Afric (A19) on 18th October, 1914 with the 1st Infantry Battalion “C” Company.

Corporal Andrews was admitted to No. 1 Australian Field Ambulance, Mena, Egypt with Pleurisy from 5th – 10th February, 1915 then transferred to No. 2 General Hospital, Mena House, Cairo for 7 days with Pleurisy from 10th - 16th February, 1915.

Corporal Alan Malcolm Andrews proceeded to join M.E.F. (Mediterranean Expeditionary Force) at Gallipoli on 5th April, 1915. He was promoted to Sergeant at Gallipoli on 25th April, 1915 as the previous Sergeant had been killed.

Sergeant Andrews was admitted to Hospital with Diarrhoea on 4th September, 1915 & discharged back to duty on 7th September, 1915 at Mudros.

In a letter dated 9th November, 1915, from Mr Joseph Andrews to Base Records, Melbourne, regarding the whereabouts & condition of his son – Sergt. A. M. Andrews, 325 “He joined the original 1st Expeditionary Force. Landed on Gallipoli on 25th April and communicated with us regularly until 12th August which was his last ! Since then I have seen a letter from a comrade of his dated 21st August stating that – “Andrews had a miraculous escape. A shell having burst a yard from his head but never struck him, he was sent to rest Camp Anzac” – and again last week a returned soldier has told me that Andrews was wounded in the foot by shrapnel on 28th August and was sent to Malta Hospital, he saw him after being wounded and said he was suffering from septic poison. From these reports and he being always prompt in writing, and not having any information from him since the 12th August or any from the Defence Department. We are anxious to know if he has been killed, wounded, or being returned to Australia……...” Base Records replied in a letter dated 15th November, 1915 stating that “no official report that he is wounded, or to any other effect, has been received here concerning No. 325 Corporal A. M. Andrews, 1st Battalion.” The reference to “Corporal” then triggered further communications from the family as to his rank being “acting Sergeant Major, Q.M. Sergeant and platoon Commander.”

Sergeant Alan Malcolm Andrews disembarked at Alexandria on 28th December, 1915.

Sergeant Alan Malcolm Andrews was transferred to 53rd Battalion from 1st Battalion at Tel-el-Kebir on 13th February, 1916. He was promoted to Acting Company Quartermaster Sergeant on 16th March, 1916. Acting Company Quartermaster Sergeant Alan Malcolm Andrews was transferred to 14th Brigade Training Battalion on 12th May, 1916 & was promoted to Company Quartermaster Sergeant on 17th May, 1916 at Tel-el-Kebir.

C.Q.M.S. Alan Malcolm Andrews embarked from Alexandria on 29th July, 1916 & disembarked at Southampton, via Marseilles on 9th August, 1916.
C.Q.M.S. Alan Malcolm Andrews was attached to 14th (NSW) Training Battalion at Larkhill, Wiltshire, England.

C.Q.M.S. Alan Malcolm Andrews was admitted to Bulford Hospital, Wiltshire, England on 11th September, 1916. He was admitted to Fovant Hospital, Wiltshire on 6th October, 1916 & discharged on 29th December, 1916.

Company Quartermaster Sergeant Alan Malcolm Andrews died on 17th March, 1917 at Salisbury Infirmary from a fracture of base of skull.

An Inquest was held into the death of Company Quartermaster-Sergeant Allen Malcolm Andrews (See full details on inquest in my research following link below)

"A motor-car trip, planned by a party of four Australian soldiers, stationed at Hurdcott Camp, came to an unhappy end on Whiteparish Hill, was told at an inquest held at Salisbury Infirmary on Tuesday morning, one member of the party, Company Quartermaster-Sergeant Alan Malcolm Andrews, aged 21, having died as a result of his injuries……

Sergt. William Lawrence Trompp stated that he and three friends hired a car to go to Southampton on Saturday afternoon. They left camp at about 2.30, passed through Salisbury, and everything went all right till they were about four miles away from the city. They were going down a rather long hill at a fairly good pace – though not a reckless pace – when he noticed a car coming towards them. Their driver steered into the near side of the road to make room for it to pass, and, so far as he could remember, their car got into a rut at the side of the road. When the driver turned it on to the road again it swerved to the opposite side, struck the bank and the front of wheel splintered. As it was being steered back to its proper side it turned over and they were all thrown into the road. All got up except Andrews, who was unconscious, and Smith, whose foot was under the back wheel. Another car which was following them, as well as the car which was coming towards them, assisted in bringing them into Salisbury Infirmary……"

Company Quartermaster Sergeant Alan Malcolm Andrews was buried in the churchyard of St. Edith’s at Baverstock, Wiltshire, England where 28 other WW1 Australian Soldiers are buried.

(The above is a summary of my research. The full research can be found by following the link below)