George Eaton GROVES MM


GROVES, George Eaton

Service Number: 6463
Enlisted: 13 April 1915, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Port Adelaide, South Australia, March 1891
Home Town: Alberton, Port Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: Port Adelaide Public School
Occupation: Tinsmith
Died: Died of wounds, France, 31 July 1918
Cemetery: Longuenesse (St. Omer) Souvenir Cemetery
Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery, Longuenesse, Nord Pas de Calais, France
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Port Adelaide St Paul's Church Memorial Alcove, Rosewater War Memorial, Rosewater Womens Memorial Roll of Honour WW1
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

13 Apr 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 6463, Adelaide, South Australia
23 Oct 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 6463, 10th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
23 Oct 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 6463, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Port Melbourne, Adelaide
28 Jun 1918: Honoured Military Medal, Merris (France)
30 Jul 1918: Wounded AIF WW1, Private, SN 6463, 10th Infantry Battalion, "Peaceful Penetration - Low-Cost, High-Gain Tactics on the Western Front", Shell wound (buttock and left thigh)

Help us honour George Eaton Groves's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Saint Ignatius' College

George Eaton Groves, the second son of Robert and Celia Groves was born in approximately March 1891 in Port Adelaide. He attended his schooling in Port Adelaide Public School where he continued to stay until graduation. After graduation he decided to work as a tinsmith and was apprenticed to a man named Rhode. George worked for 3 years until he finally joined the Great War along with his older brother, Robert William Groves. Together they enlisted for the war on the 13 April 1915. The description on his enlistment said that he was 24 years old and one month, his height was 5 feet and 5 inches, his chest measurement was 31-35 inches, his weight was 131 Ibs, his complexion was dark, his eyes were honey, his hair was dark and his religious denomination was Church of England.

Groves officially became a soldier and was assigned to the 10th Battalion and he was instantly sent to Morphettville Camp for training. After more than a year of hard training George embarked the H.M.A.T. A16 'Port Melbourne' on the 23rd of October 1916. Every new group of reinforcements was ready to sail off to the war in France and Belgium against the Germans on the Western Front. The journey took more than 2 months just to land at a city in England named Folkestone. When landing, George’s Battalion trained in Folkestone for a solid 3 months. This training garnered a good reputation for George due to his fierce attitude and his firm determination for success. He would continue to different places in France.

On June 28th, George Groves performed the action which won him the Military Medal. To quote from his recommendation, "During a daylight operation on Juner 28th, 1918 near MERRIS Pte. GROVES advanced 200 yards and with his platoon captured an enemy post. As consolidation was being held up by machine gun fire he took up a position with his lewis gun on a woodstack from which he could see the enemy guns. Regardless of the fire which was at once directed on him; from this dangerous position he fought a duel with three enemy guns, silencing them and enabling consolidation to be completed before the counterattack was launched. He held his position during the counter attack and was largely instrumental in breaking it." [SOURCE] (

During this fierce battle in Merris, Private George Eaton Groves demonstrated extraordinary courage and his firm devotion to duty impressed everyone he worked with. He was one of the biggest inspirations to all his comrades. On the 23rd of July 1918 Private Groves was awarded the Medal of Bravery in the Field as he demonstrated conspicuous bravery at Merris, France. After a week of receiving one of the most prestigious awards, sad news followed. George and Private J. Johnson were on an outpost at July the 31st of 1918. The Germans decided to attack the post very early in the morning, about 2am. A bomb was thrown into the outpost, which hit George. Private J. Johnson had quickly carried him away to a safe place. Johnson quickly dressed his wounds, but it was no help as George didn’t respond to his treatments provided and finally succumbed to his wounds on the 31st of July 1918. George Eaton Groves was buried at Longuenesse Souvenir Cemetery and was forever remembered due to his gallant effort in war.

George Eaton Groves showed significant Anzac Spirt. He died at the age of 26 serving for his country. He was a brave and courageous soldier. He showed a fierce attitude and his firm determination for success all throughout camp and the Battle of Merris. This firm dedication as a soldier granted him a Medal of Bravery on the 23rd of July 1918. Sadly, he was struck by a bomb while in the outpost and didn’t respond to his treatments. The war stole his life, he lost his life of opportunity to protect his country. This optimisation of the war led to his death.