Glencoe George SANDERSON

SANDERSON, Glencoe George

Service Number: 51512
Enlisted: 16 November 1917
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 1st to 17th (VIC) Reinforcements
Born: Violet Town, Victoria, 1900
Home Town: Violet Town, Strathbogie, Victoria
Schooling: Violet Town State School
Occupation: Rubber Worker
Died: Natural causes, Bendigo, Victoria, 29 September 1982
Cemetery: Bendigo Civil Cemetery
Memorials: Euroa Telegraph Park, Violet Town Honour Roll, Violet Town Primary School Honour Roll, Violet Town St Dunstan's Honor Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

16 Nov 1917: Enlisted AIF WW1, SN 51512
1 May 1918: Involvement Private, SN 51512, 1st to 17th (VIC) Reinforcements
1 May 1918: Embarked Private, SN 51512, 1st to 17th (VIC) Reinforcements, HMAT Euripides, Sydney

Help us honour Glencoe George Sanderson's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


SANDERSON Glencoe George 51512 GNR
4th Field Artillery Brigade

On 16 November 1917 Glen enlisted in Melbourne. He was 18 years and 2 months old, 10 months short of being eligible for overseas service. So next-of-kin consent had to be sought.  This was granted by his eldest sister Edie as both parents had died by this time.

All the Sanderson boys had endured a pretty rough childhood, being farmed out at an early age to near-by farms to work. In return they received board and lodging. Glen signed up and before long was on his way aboard HMAT Euripides bound for New York.  From there he was transferred to SS Teutonic, arriving at Liverpool, his final destination.

After training, he left for France on 4 October 1918. While there he was TOS of the 4th Field Artillery Brigade.

A week later he reported sick with rheumatism and after many transfers, ended up in a military hospital at Newton Abbey, England. He suffered from fits which puzzled the military doctors. Finally in November he was granted indefinite leave awaiting a ship to take him home. He boarded HMAT Themistocles and was immediately admitted to the ship’s hospital, from where he disembarked on 5 February 1920.

He was discharged the following March, medically unfit, suffering from neurasthenia.

He married Minna Ellen (Millie) Clarkson in 1921, worked briefly as a grocery assistant until being granted a war pension in 1934.

In 1982 he died in Bendigo at the age of 83; Millie died in 1990.  Their ashes are interred side by side in the Bendigo Cemetery.

Service Medals:  British War Medal      Victory Medal

Memorials: Violet Town State School
                    St Dunstan’s Anglican Church, Violet Town

© 2016 Sheila Burnell