Allan Henry BYNOE

BYNOE, Allan Henry

Service Number: SX19479
Enlisted: 26 April 1943
Last Rank: Trooper
Last Unit: 2nd/9th Cavalry Commando Squadron
Born: Hindmarsh, South Australia, 23 February 1915
Home Town: Ethelton, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Jockey
Died: Natural causes, Adelaide, South Australia, 21 February 2004, aged 88 years
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Services Family, Shrub Bed 6, Position 056
Memorials: Keswick "M" and Z" Special Units Independent Companies & Commando Squadrons Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

26 Apr 1943: Enlisted Private, SN SX19479, Wayville, South Australia
26 Apr 1943: Enlisted Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Private, SN SX19479
27 Apr 1943: Involvement Trooper, SN SX19479
14 Dec 1945: Discharged Trooper, SN SX19479, 2nd/9th Cavalry Commando Squadron

Help us honour Allan Henry Bynoe's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Peter Cates

Alan Bynoe, 2/9 Squadron was a jockey before the war and the 6 Div light weight boxing champion on the Tableland, but he was a heavy weight when we carried him on the stretcher from Aboama to The Bend.

According to the "Green Fields Beyond" he was wounded in the stomach when Laurie Hedley's patrol entered Aboama, but it was Lionel Oxlad's section that carried him back till they met Tim Watson's 6 section, with DR Peter Grieve.

We then took over the portage, arriving back at The Bend by lantern light after a precipitous descent and a hair raising crossing of the Danmap. Peter, who had been carrying the rifles of the stretcher party, operated on his lung that night and he was evacuated on the next morning's Boong train, never to return to the Squadron.

Post war he was unable to ride but became a successful trainer in Adelaide. When Edie Elston and I visited him in 1991 he still had a horse in training, stabled in the back yard of his suburban house. He was a bit forgetful at that time and, I think, a little suspicious of Eddie and me, but he eventually relaxed and posed for photographs as we talked about things he remembered.

He had other visitors of course. Bill (Snowy) Williams had been wounded a few weeks earlier and they met up at the American Hospital in Aitape where Snow, being penniless at the time, bit him for a quid.

Many years later, after the pound had long been superceded by the dollar,  Snow called on Allen, unannounced, greeting him at the door with: "Here's