Wilfred Arthur TAYLOR


TAYLOR, Wilfred Arthur

Service Number: 2252
Enlisted: 3 March 1915
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Naracoorte, South Australia, 25 May 1896
Home Town: Peterborough (Formerly Petersburg), South Australia
Schooling: Model School, Glenelg, South Australia
Occupation: Cycle builder
Died: Bullet wound in the head, Gallipoli, 30 September 1915, aged 19 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Commemorated on the Lone Pine Memorial, Panel 60Ref No 33
Memorials: Adelaide Lone Pine Memorial, Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour, Peterborough Public School Honour Board WW1, Peterborough Uniting Church Porch Memorial Leadlight Window2, Peterborough War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

3 Mar 1915: Enlisted
23 Jun 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2252, 10th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
23 Jun 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 2252, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Borda, Adelaide
4 Aug 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2252, 10th Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli

Help us honour Wilfred Arthur Taylor's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Saint Ignatius' College

Wilfred Arthur Taylor born to the parents of John James Taylor, father and mother Annie Long, on the 25th of May 1896. He was a courageous and disciplined soldier born in Naracoorte, South Australia. Wilfred was 18 years and 11 months of age when enlisted and was 5 feet and five and a half inches. Before enlisting Wilfred’s occupation was a motor mechanic and cycle builder. He was not able to pursue this as he did not make it back home from the war. Wilfred and his family were Methodists. Before he went to war he lived with his parents Annie and John and had four brothers whoalso enlisted in the war and 3 that served abroad in Peterborough. Wilfred Arthur was single before embarking on his journey in the war. Another factor that would have prevented him marrying was that he was only 18. Previous to being in the war he served in the Citizen Military Force.
Wilfred Arthur’s unit embarked from Adelaide, South Australia on the 23rd of June 1915. He was onboard the HMAT A30 Borda. Wilfred trained at Cairo for a very short time before he re-embarked for Gallipoli on the 'Berrima'. He arrived on the peninsula on the 4th of August. Private Dillon, who served with him, says he was s bugler.

On the 30th of September, early in the morning, Wilfred was shot in the head in Victoria Gully and taken towards the beach to be treated. Several informants record this, but his body was never formally buried and its location is unknown. He is commemorated on the Lone Pine Memorial.