Samuel John AWEGA


AWEGA, Samuel John

Service Number: 2884
Enlisted: 6 March 1916, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 32nd Infantry Battalion
Born: Mannum, South Australia, 11 June 1881
Home Town: Stirling, Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Died of Illness (war service related), Adelaide, South Australia, 23 January 1920, aged 38 years
Cemetery: Stirling District Cemetery, S.A.
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

6 Mar 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 2884, 32nd Infantry Battalion, Adelaide, South Australia
11 Apr 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2884, 32nd Infantry Battalion
11 Apr 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 2884, 32nd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Aeneas, Adelaide
25 Mar 1918: Discharged AIF WW1, Private, SN 2884, 32nd Infantry Battalion, Medical discharge (TB)

Help us honour Samuel John Awega's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Son of John Samuel AWEGA and Elizabeth nee KOCH

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Embarked Adelaide, 11 april 1916; disembarked Colombo, Ceylon (date not recorded; medical resons); disembarked Suez, 9 June 1916.

Taken on strength, 5th Division Details, Tel el Kebir, 9 July 1916.

Embarked Alexandria for England, 2 August 1916.

Proceeded overseas to France, and marched in to 5th Australian Division Base Depot, Etaples, 11 September 1916.

Admitted to 26th General Hospital, 28 September 1916 (bronchitis); transferred to No 5 Convalescent Depot, Cayeaux, 6 October 1916; to Base Depot, 28 October 1916.

Admitted to 26th General Hospital, 6 December 1916 (bronchitis); transferred to 6th Convalescent Depot, Etaples, 19 December 1916; to 5th Convalescent Depot, Cayeaux, 23 December 1916 (bronchial catarrh); to 5th Australian Division Base Depot, 17 January 1917.

Marched out to Headquarters, 3rd Australian Division, 25 January 1917.

Admitted to 11th Australian Field Ambulance, 12 March 1917 (debility); transferred to 3rd Division Rest Station, 18 March 1917; to 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station, 4 April 1917; to Ambulance Train No 26, 6 April 1917, and admitted to 32nd Stationary Hospital, Wimereux, 7 April 1917 (tuberculosis); transferred to England, 9 April 1917 (tuberculosis, lung), and admitted to Connaught Hospital, Aldershot, 10 April 1917 (tuberculosis: seriously ill); transferred to 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Harefield, 9 May 1917; Medical Report, 12 May 1917: 'Had haemophysis about six months ago & has had cough since. No previous trouble & no family history of tuberculosis); discharged to No 2 Command Depot, Weymouth, 26 June 1917.

Commenced return to Australia from Devonport on board HT 'Demosthenes', 27 July 1917; disembarked Melbourne, 24 September 1917, for overland travel to Adelaide; discharged (medically unfit: tuberculosis), Adelaide, 25 March 1918.