Lewis Charles CUDDY MM

CUDDY, Lewis Charles

Service Number: 357
Enlisted: 4 October 1915, Townsville, Queensland
Last Rank: Sergeant
Last Unit: 41st Infantry Battalion
Born: Port Douglas, Queensland, 3 February 1889
Home Town: Dimbulah, Tablelands, Queensland
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Station hand
Died: Natural causes, Brisbane, Queensland, 3 February 1970, aged 81 years
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Tree Plaque: Not yet discovered
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

4 Oct 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 357, 41st Infantry Battalion, Townsville, Queensland
18 May 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 357, 41st Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
18 May 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 357, 41st Infantry Battalion, HMAT Demosthenes, Sydney
20 Oct 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Corporal, 41st Infantry Battalion
1 Jul 1917: Wounded Warneton
24 Aug 1917: Promoted AIF WW1, Lance Sergeant, 41st Infantry Battalion
31 Dec 1917: Promoted AIF WW1, Sergeant, 41st Infantry Battalion
6 Jul 1918: Wounded "Peaceful Penetration - Low-Cost, High-Gain Tactics on the Western Front", GSW (2nd occasion - right buttock)
15 Sep 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Sergeant, SN 357, 41st Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Lewis Charles Cuddy's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Son of: Richard Cuddy and Norah (Honora Bridget) Coleman

Brother of: 146 Sgt. Fraser Harold George CUDDAY (/explore/people/234682) who was killed in action in France on 21 Jan 1917, and 120 Dvr. Francis COLEMAN (/explore/people/163250)

Medals: Military Medal, British War Medal #15780, Victory Medal #15452

Recommended (www.awm.gov.au) for the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) for gallantry - Awarded the Military Medal (MM)

"During operations near SAILLY-le-SEC, on 30th March 1918, this N.C.O. showed conspicuous gallantry in going out alone under heavy machine gun fire to try and get touch with the post on his right, which was believed had fallen back.

He afterwards went out alone to try and locate a sniper which was worrying his Platoon. When this N.C.O. was wounded he carried on in charge of his Platoon until relieved the next day.

He controlled his Platoon with the utmost confidence and was untiring in his efforts throughout the day and night continuously to ensure that the enemy was kept under the most severe fire whenever he showed himself.

His example of courage and disregard of danger in going forward under fire to maintain touch with Units on flank is worthy of regard and was of the utmost value in clearing up the situation." (signed John Monash - Major General)