Richard Louis Howard TILBROOK

Badge Number: 12085, Sub Branch: Goodwood / Wayville

TILBROOK, Richard Louis Howard

Service Number: 15941
Enlisted: 28 March 1916, at Mount Gambier
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: Army Medical Corps (AIF)
Born: Clarendon, South Australia, 29 May 1880
Home Town: Mount Gambier, Mount Gambier, South Australia
Schooling: Clarendon Primary School
Occupation: Methodist Minister
Died: Stroke, Adelaide, South Australia, 12 August 1953, aged 73 years
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
General AA - F - 454
Memorials: Orroroo District Roll of Honour WW1, Willowie Schools and District Roll of Honor
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

28 Mar 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 15941, at Mount Gambier
25 Oct 1916: Involvement Private, 15941, Army Medical Corps (AIF), --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '23' embarkation_place: Melbourne embarkation_ship: HMAT Ulysses embarkation_ship_number: A38 public_note: ''
25 Oct 1916: Embarked Private, 15941, Army Medical Corps (AIF), HMAT Ulysses, Melbourne
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, 15941

Help us honour Richard Louis Howard Tilbrook's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Adelaide High School

Richard Louis Howard Tilbrook was born in Clarendon, South Australia on 29th-May-1880. He was known as Louis to his family. He was the third of eight children. Before he signed up for the war, he was a Methodist Minister, with his father, Jabez, who was also a Methodist Minister. His brother Walter Wesley Tilbrook, known as Wesley, also served in World War I. Wesley was awarded the Military Medal. He died in action on the 1st-April-1918, he was 27. Louis did not have any previous military service. When he was twenty, Louis was thrown from a horse fracturing his arm at the elbow.

Louis signed up for the Army on 28th-March-1916 at Mount Gambier. He embarked on the Ulysses from Melbourne in the 25th-October-1916. He was taken on strength on the 28th-January-1917. He transitioned to the 3rd Australian Casualty Clearance Station. During the war Louis is recorded as being ill three times: twice in February 1917, and once in November 1918. He fell ill with Parotitis and then the Mumps in 1917 for about a month, meanwhile, his unit was at Edge Hill, Dernancourt. Then in 1918, he caught Influenza. He was admitted to hospital in Paris three days after the Armistice was signed. At that time, his Unit was stationed in Oudenarde in Belgium. He was lucky to survive as this was a pandemic that killed 50 million people. There is no written evidence of him being wounded during the war. Louis’ Unit disbanded on 26/4/1919 and returned to Australia on the Orita. He was discharged from the Army on 17/9/1919.

After he returned to Australia from the war, he married Dorothy May Sly in 1924. They had three children. He resumed being a Methodist Minister, working in places like Summertown, Semaphore, Hamley Bridge, and many more.