William Newell CREAGH

CREAGH, William Newell

Service Number: 3035
Enlisted: 19 October 1916, Sydney, NSW
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 35th Infantry Battalion
Born: Albury, NSW, 1987
Home Town: Glebe, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Telephone Mechanic
Died: 1 February 1941, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Northern Suburbs Memorial Gardens and Crematorium, NSW
Memorials: New South Wales Garden of Remembrance (Rookwood Necropolis), Wagga Wagga St. John's Club Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 Oct 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 3035, 35th Infantry Battalion, Sydney, NSW
24 Jan 1917: Involvement Private, 3035, 35th Infantry Battalion
24 Jan 1917: Embarked Private, 3035, 35th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Anchises, Sydney

Help us honour William Newell Creagh's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Mrs Clara Creagh, 68 Barrett Street, Albert Park, Victoria


A message was received at Wagga yesterday to the effect that the death had occurred on Saturday in Sydney of Mr. William Nowell Creagh, at the age of 42 years. Mr. Creagh served in the Great War of 1914-18, and war in juries were responsible for his having had indifferent health for many years.
He was a resident of Wagga for several years after his return from the war, during which time he lived in Beckwith-street. For some years after his return from the war  Mr.  Creagh was a clerk in the Divisional Engineer's office (P.M.G's. Dept), Wagga, until ill-health compelled his retirement. He married Miss Kitty Battersby, daughter of Mr. R.  Battersby, of Wagga, and there were two children of the marriage. During the latter portion of his residence at Wagga Mr Creagh's health became worse and about two years ago he and his family left Wagga to reside at Lane Cove, where it was hoped that, he would improve in health. During his residence at Wagga, Mr. Creagh actively associated  himself with many public movements, and he was made organising secretary, of the Back to  Wagga movement in 1927. His work in that capacity as in all things, was very  thorough and efficient. He threw a tremendous amount of energy into any task that he undertook, and was well esteemed and respected by all. Mr. Creagh was an enthusiastic  golfer, and was secretary of the Wagga golf club for some years, also tournament secretary for the Wagga and neighboring clubs on many occasions. When the fire brigades  demonstration was held at Wagga in 1932, he was organising secretary of the movement. The success of this demonstration was due in no small measure to his untiring and  enthusiastic labors. Always courteous and genial, Mr. Creagh was very popular not only among his friends, but among all sections of the community. The late E. E. Collins who  was associated with Mr. Creagh during the Back to Wagga celebrations and the fire brigades demonstration, when brigades from all parts of the State came to Wagga, once  described Mr. Creagh as 'a bundle of energy.' 'I do not know,' he said, 'where Bill gets all his energy from.' in addition to these activities Mr. Creagh was a member of the Wagga sub-branch of the R.S.S.I.L.A. and was its president in 1927 to 1928. He was one of the Wagga sub-branch's representatives at a dinner held in honor of the Duke of York now  King George VI on the occasion of his visit to Canberra in 1927. Mr Creagh was also an active member of the Wagga Legacy Club, and was its president in 1937-1938. He is  survived by his wife and two sons. William, the elder son has obtained his first-class certificate as a maratime wireless operator, and John, the younger son is on the staff of the  Commonwealth Bank. Sydney. The deep sympathy of the community will be extended to Mrs Creagh who was a loving and devoted nurse to her husband during his long illness. The funeral took place in Sydney yesterday.