Frederick Matthew KISS


KISS, Frederick Matthew

Service Number: 1701
Enlisted: 15 March 1916, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 50th Infantry Battalion
Born: Maffra, Victoria, 13 July 1889
Home Town: Maffra, Wellington, Victoria
Schooling: Maffra Public School
Occupation: Barman
Died: Killed in Action, Pozieres, France, 16 August 1916, aged 27 years
Cemetery: Serre Road Cemetery No.2
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour, Murray Bridge Hospital Memorial Gates
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

15 Mar 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Adelaide, South Australia
11 Apr 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1701, 50th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
11 Apr 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 1701, 50th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Aeneas, Adelaide
12 Aug 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1701, 50th Infantry Battalion, Pozières

Help us honour Frederick Matthew Kiss's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Brother of 202 Pte. Thomas Percival Kiss (/explore/people/118797) who was invalided back to Australia suffering Confusional Insanity after 3 months at Galliopoli


The late Pte. Fred Kiss, whose death we mentioned last week as having occurred in France on August 16, was a son of Mr. Thomas Kiss, of Maffra, Victoria, and enlisted from Murray Bridge in March of the present year. He was in camp only three weeks when he volunteered for reinforcements. He arrived in France in June. He was employed as a barman at the Bridgeport Hotel before enlistment and was popular among Murray Bridge residents.

— An Appreciation. —

"It was with deep regret that I received the news that Fred Kiss had been killed in action in France" said Mr. W. Piper to an Advocate representative. "He was in our employ, as barman, from the time we took possession of the Bridgeport Hotel until he enlisted. Fred was one of the best fellows any employer could wish for. Honest, conscientious and industrious. His word was his bond, and his actions were always clean cut, with never an attempt to shuffle. His work was always well and quickly done, and he had plenty of time for recreation. He kept himself fit by a regular course of training. Anything that he took on he exerted every effort to get the best possible results. Being a good clean living man his military training was completed with marvellous rapidity, and must be something near a record. He enlisted on Wednesday, March 15, 1916, three weeks later he volunteered for re-inforcements and was immediately dispatched to Egypt. After a month there a call was made for volunteers for France. Fred was again to the fore. A letter received locally from him dated about July 20th said he was 'spelling' after having served three weeks in the trenches. On Wednesday, August 16 (exactly five months after he had enlisted), he died the glorious death of having sacrificed his life for his fellow countrymen. The staff of the Bridgeport Hotel and my brother join with me in extending to his parents our deepest sympathy." - from the Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser 29 Sep 1916 (