Lindsay William HARRICKS MC

HARRICKS, Lindsay William

Service Numbers: 833, V361638
Enlisted: 2 February 1915, Ararat, Victoria
Last Rank: Major
Last Unit: 22nd Infantry Battalion
Born: Ararat, Victoria, 26 August 1896
Home Town: Ararat, Ararat, Victoria
Schooling: Ararat State School & Church of England Grammar
Occupation: Clerk/Grazier
Died: Natural causes, Ararat, Victoria, 1 August 1965, aged 68 years
Cemetery: Ararat General Cemetery
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

2 Feb 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 833, 22nd Infantry Battalion, Ararat, Victoria
10 May 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, SN 833, 22nd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ulysses, Melbourne
10 May 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, SN 833, 22nd Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
5 Sep 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 833, 22nd Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
30 Jul 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Sergeant, 22nd Infantry Battalion
7 Nov 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, 22nd Infantry Battalion
28 May 1917: Promoted AIF WW1, Lieutenant, 22nd Infantry Battalion
6 Aug 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Lieutenant, 22nd Infantry Battalion

World War 2 Service

15 May 1942: Enlisted Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Major, SN V361638

Help us honour Lindsay William Harricks's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Richard Alfred HARRICKS, Queen Street, Ararat, Vic.

Lindsay William HARRICKS embarked from Melbourne on the Ulysses on 5 May 1915.  After training in Egypt he was positioned at Johnson’s Jolly, Gallipoli in September and evacuated with severe frostbite to the feet following the November blizzards. Onboard the Hospital Ship Gloucester Castle he was delighted to have 'a hot bath, it was my first for about 10 weeks, hadn't even washed my face for ove a month as water was very scarce'.

Recovery enabled Lindsay to join his battalion in July 1916 prior to moving south to the Somme, France, and the battle of Pozieres.  Time at rest in Ypres preceded a return to winter on the Somme.

Lindsay was promoted to Lieutenant in May 1917 following the battle of Bullecourt.  Time was spent at training in England at the end of 1917 before returning to the front line in Belgium in a quiet sector near Hooge.

Following a raid near Morlancourt, France in which his party suffered no casualties Lt LW HARRICKS was awarded the Military Cross.

Military Cross

'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in charge of a raiding party. He at the head of his party, rushed the enemy trench, and shot the enemy and another with his revolver. He then actively supervised the mopping up of the position, which resulted in of the enemy being killed in hand-to-hand fighting. He brought back six prisoners and a machine gun. He set a splendid example of gallantry and good leadership to his men.'
Source: 'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 23
Date: 12 February 1919

He was the Adjutant aboard the Castalia, returning to Australia in May 1919.

LW Harricks married in 1923 and with his wife and three children ran the family property ‘ONAGH’.

Lindsay was a keen sportsman and a foundation member of the Ararat Legacy Club.